All you have to do to receive the new in game title and medal is to first have purchased the game and secondly pay for an extension on your subscription, either by a subscription plan or by using a game card. Easy enough and five years from now players won't have to tell people they were there in the beginning, but could show them the proof.
Here is the link to the page with all the information on it or read it below.
As a 'thank you' to everyone who helped make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches in history, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic with a unique Founder's Medal and "Founder" Title!
To receive the Founder's Medal...
- Purchase Star Wars: The Old Republic and redeem your official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.
- Complete one of the following transactions by March 19th, 2012 (12:01AM EST; Pacific: March 18th, 9:01PM PST; European: 4:01AM GMT, 5:01AM CET):
- Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscription
- Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Time Code
- Once you become eligible for the title and have surpassed your 30 days of game time included with your official Game Product Registration Code, you will be notified by email.
- Check your in-game mail for a message from "Star Wars: The Old Republic". Your Founder's Medal will be attached to this message.
- Place your Founder's Medal in your Inventory and right-click the medal to unlock your "Founder" title. (TIP: You can choose to show the Founder's title or any other title you've earned in-game by opening your character sheet and selecting a title from the character name drop down. Once applied, the title will show next to your character name on your nameplate.)
- This title is permanently bound to your account and will carry over to any character you make in the future.
(NOTE: It may take up to 7 days for the "Founder" title to be applied).